Call for Applications: Summer Institute on Conducting Archival Research
CWIHP partner, The George Washington University's Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies
Summer Institute on Conducting Archival Research (SICAR)
George Washington University’s Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies is pleased to announce the 11th annual Summer Institute on Conducting Archival Research (SICAR). This prestigious five-day seminar will be held in Washington, D.C., from 20-24 May, 2013.
SICAR trains graduate students from multiple disciplines to maximize their research in archives and includes the following sessions:
• preparing to go to an archive and structuring time once there;
• understanding how archival documents come to be written and deposited in archives;
• tackling the challenges of interpreting archival documents, including issues of culture and foreign
Ph.D. students from the US and abroad working on international relations and modern history are encouraged to apply. George Washington University will provide accommodation and meals during the week of the Institute and accepted students may apply for subsidized travel.
Applications should include the form available at www.ieres.org, as well as:
1. a two-page proposal indicating how the week-long Summer Institute would be beneficial to your
2. a curriculum vitae,
3. one letter of recommendation from a faculty member in your department.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 January 2013 with the subject line reading “SICAR
application.” Recommendation letters may be e-mailed or sent to:
Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies
ATTN: SICAR Application
1957 E Street NW, Suite 412
Washington, DC 20052
Please direct questions to email@example.com