WASHINGTON- Lee Hamilton, President and Director of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, has appointed Gerald (Gerry) McCaughey as chair of the advisory board for its Canada Institute. McCaughey is the President and CEO of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC), one of the largest financial services institutions in Canada.
Reneging on Kyoto, Keystone pipeline drama, pain at the pump, re-aligned Arctic sovereignty, melting outdoor hockey rinks – all these aspects of climate change are being discussed in Canada. However, Canadians, as potential citizens of the next energy superpower, need a more comprehensive and enriching debate. Climate change adaptation measures, at home and abroad, are inevitable, but the issue has largely been ignored by the federal government thus far.
The Detroit-Windsor area, home to the Ambassador Bridge and Detroit-Windsor Tunnel, is one of the most heavily used border crossings in the world. Congestion at the current Detroit-Windsor border crossings costs businesses as much as US$16 billion each year.
Opinion editorial from Robert A. Pastor in the Los Angeles Times
The U.S. election will be held on Nov. 6 and here in Ottawa, top political and government players behind the scenes are sure to have been kept up to date on presidential and congressional races by Canada’s U.S. Embassy since last year, said former Canadian diplomat Paul Frazer who served as minister of the Canadian Embassy in Washington throughout the Clinton administration.
Sign up for the Canada Institute Newsletter
March 14, 2014 // 9:00am — 10:00am
"Merger of the Century: Why Canada and America Should Become One Country," A Conversation with Diane Francis
March 19, 2014 // 9:00am — 11:00am
Experts & Staff
- David Biette // Director, Canada Institute
- Andrew Finn // Program Associate, Canada Institute
- Megan Geckle // Program Assistant, Canada Institute
- Kathryn Friedman // Global Fellow
- Wenran Jiang // Global Fellow
- Jacqueline Krikorian // Fulbright Visiting Research Chair in US-Canada Relations
- Nik Nanos // Global Fellow
- Vanessa Jarnes // Intern, Canada Institute
- Ryan Taylor // Intern, Canada Institute
- Stephanie Van den Berg // Intern, Canada Institute