While some Central and East European countries "graduated" from the amendment in recent years, Russia remains subject to an annual compliance waiver, which has complicated U.S.-Russian trade relations. Those who defend Jackson-Vanik argue it remains an important symbol of freedom and democracy. This March 2010 Centerpoint article discusses the 4 February 2010 conference on the Jackson-Vanik amendment, where experts honored the legacy and debated the relevance of Jackson-Vanik in today's world.
Washington, D.C.: Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars; Kennan Institute Occasional Paper Series #201, 1985. PDF 37 pages.
Washington, D.C.: Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars; Kennan Institute Occasional Paper Series #297, 2008. PDF 28 pages.
Contact the Kennan Institute
- Fulbright-Kennan Institute Research Scholarships
- Kennan Institute Title VIII-Supported Short-Term Grant
- Kennan Institute Title VIII-Supported Summer Research Scholarships
- Internships with the Kennan Institute
- Galina Starovoitova Fellowship on Human Rights and Conflict Resolution
- Program Associate- Kennan Institute
Experts & Staff
- Matthew Rojansky // Director, Kennan Institute
- William E. Pomeranz // Deputy Director, Kennan Institute
- F. Joseph Dresen // Program Associate
- Mary Elizabeth Malinkin // Program Associate
- Mattison Brady // Program Assistant
- Blair A. Ruble // Vice President for Programs; Director, Urban Sustainability Laboratory; and Senior Advisor, Kennan Institute