The enduring legacy of the Iran-Iraq War will be the focus of the panel discussion, The Iran-Iraq War: The View from Baghdad, to take place Tuesday, October 25, at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.
How has Egypt fared since the military’s removal of President Morsi? Has the situation stabilized and is the nation on a path toward meaningful and lasting democratic reforms? Mohamed Anwar El Sadat, a nephew of the late Egyptian President Anwar Sadat, and Sameh Fawzy, who was appointed to Egypt’s Shura Council by former President Morsi, provide context.
"In Syria, there are no good options, American credibility is at stake, and the pressures to act are considerable in the face of great uncertainties," writes Aaron David Miller in Salon.com.
What do most cases of suicide terrorism have in common? Ami Pedazhur, an expert on suicide terrorism, describes the organizational, community, and personal levels of what he considers a social political phenomenon.
On the occasion of the second anniversary of the Arab Spring, the Middle East Program (MEP) invited a group of experts from the region, Europe, and the United States to contribute to this publication by answering the question, “Has the Arab Spring Lived Up to Expectations?”
Iran meets with the US and five other nations in Moscow this week over its nuclear program. It is their third session in three months in the latest round of an almost decade-old attempt to answer fears that Iran seeks the bomb. Yet the two sides still have irreconcilable positions, and it is hard to see an ice-breaker towards a deal, writes Iran nuclear expert Michael Adler.
The field of candidates may be limited, but the outside world can still learn a lot from Iran's 2013 presidential poll, writes Robin Wright in a ForeignPolicy.com op-ed.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
September 10, 2014 // 4:00pm — 5:30pm
Turkey’s Presidential Elections 2014 - What do they mean for Turkey’s democratization process, the Kurdish question and Turkey’s foreign policy?
September 11, 2014 // 12:00pm — 2:00pm
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar