Former Wilson Center fellow Rochelle Davis writes on the ongoing crisis in Syria involving refugees and the internally displaced. She makes a number of policy recommendations based upon the recent experiences of Iraqi and Palestinian refugees.
Hassan Rouhani’s surprising first round victory in the presidential elections represents a significant shift in the Iranian political landscape. In a field of candidates dominated by conservatives, Rouhani ran as a moderate. He questioned the necessity of the expanding security state and the constant oversight of student and civil society associations by the security agencies. He spoke of the need for greater freedom of press and speech, and devoted attention to women’s rights issues. Whether he will succeed, or whether he will initiate a change of direction only to be blocked by yet another rightwing backlash, remains to be seen.
Since Tuareg nationalists and al-Qaeda seized control of northern Mali in February 2012, the world has been dithering about what to do. Neither the United States nor Algeria, two potentially key actors in the unfolding drama, has decided on its role yet. Mali’s neighbors, the African Union, and the UN Security Council have not wanted to take any risky action and have found ways to put off a military response in the slim hope of finding a political solution.
The UN nuclear watchdog the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) issued today a long expected report on Iran and another on Syria. Public Policy Scholar Michael Adler comments on the reports.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu faces the prospect of being ensnared in traps that will limit his room to maneuver and undermine Israel's interests, writes Aaron David Miller.
Looking ahead to a post-Assad Syria, Aaron David Miller provides a preliminary scorecard of who the winners and losers will be, both within the splintered nation and among foreign stakeholders Russia, Iran, Israel, Lebanon, and the United States.
In Celebration of International Women’s Day 2012
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar