In one of the many bizarre twists of Egypt's recent political convulsion, hardline Salafi parties look poised to replace the Muslim Brotherhood as the most important Islamist players in the political process. It's a situation ripe with irony, writes Senior Scholar Marina Ottaway.
David Ottaway, a senior scholar at the Wilson Center, has recently returned from Tunisia. This piece is an overview of his observations of current challenges faced by Tunisia’s leadership.
"Iraq was never the U.S.'s to win. That point -- along with lowered expectations and focused goals -- must be the basis of any new approach to the region," writes Aaron David Miller.
Click to see the table of contents, or download the full PDF below.
"Obama will act militarily in Syria, but deliberately. Whatever its misgivings, the U.S. military will execute whatever attack the president authorizes – maybe missile strikes against units that have used chemical weapons, or against other military infrastructure. And if he explains his reasoning clearly and transparently, he’ll have Congress and the public behind him," writes Aaron David Miller in Politico.
In this interview, Iran nuclear expert Michael Adler describes the outcome of the latest P5+1 talks in Kazakhstan.
Read the presentation given by Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad, Special Presidential Envoy for Afghanistan
CLOSES August11, 2014 - The Wilson Center is searching for a Middle East Program Director that will be responsible for the operations of the Middle East Program. Some of the tasks include; providing strategic oversight; fundraising; supervising MEP staff; and providing recommendations for Middle East related scholar appointments. You must apply for this position through the USAJobs website. Please see the vacancy announcement for more information.
The Middle East Program and the Global Women’s Leadership Initiative at the Wilson Center hosted a two-panel discussion on “MENA Women in the Reformist Process: A Retrospective,” the first of which focused on women’s political participation and the second focusing on economic reforms and social change.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar