Haleh Esfandiari, Joshua Stacher , and Aaron Miller discuss the latest developments in the Middle East. In our second segment, Cynthia Arnson provides insight into the re-election of Hugo Chavez.
Read the presentation given by Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad, Special Presidential Envoy for Afghanistan
Egyptians mark the first anniversary of the revolution that toppled former dictator Hosni Mubarak—an uprising centering on Cairo’s iconic square that prompted hopes of a new and democratic politics. Just back from a research trip to Egypt, Distinguished Scholar Robin Wright gives a first-hand impression of the country’s political situation, reporting on protests against the military and the recent parliamentary elections.
After the Aug. 4 inauguration, Rouhani will face a grueling test of the popularity he won at the polls against five other candidates, writes Robin Wright.
Jane Harman appears on MSNBC's Morning Joe to discuss allegations of chemical weapon use in Syria.
The reasons to intervene in Syria are just not compelling enough to offset the risks and the unknowns. For the United States to enter the fray as a quasi-combatant would make matters more complicated, not less, writes Aaron David Miller in Foreign Policy.
Situated between Israel and Syria, Lebanon sits in the center of a region experiencing an unprecedented period of change. Former Prime Minister of Lebanon Fuad Siniora discusses the impact of the Arab Spring on his country, the conflict in Syria, and the future of the region.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
September 10, 2014 // 4:00pm — 5:30pm
Turkey’s Presidential Elections 2014 - What do they mean for Turkey’s democratization process, the Kurdish question and Turkey’s foreign policy?
September 11, 2014 // 12:00pm — 2:00pm
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar