Two years after the uprising that forced President Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali into exile, Tunisians are slowly coming to grips with the reality of politics in a pluralist system where opposition is real and the outcome of political contestation is not predetermined. The process is slow and somewhat uncertain, and it would be premature to conclude that Tunisian politicians have fully embraced not only the concept of democracy but also its concrete implications.
Pro-democracy rebellions have erupted across the Middle East since December 2010. The Wilson Center's Middle East Program continues to hold meetings to explore effects in different countries and among different groups, including women. Events included a June event in which three female panelists participated in the Wilson Center session from Egypt, via Skype.
Click to see the table of contents, or download the full PDF below.
Visiting Arab Journalist Yassmine Hani discusses her impressions of Egypt's new president, Egypt's relations toward Israel in light of the Muslim Brotherhood victory, and U.S. foreign policy toward her country.
In this Director's Forum, Nesreen Berwari, Minister for Municipalities and Public Works in Iraq outlined what has been accomplished and what lies ahead in the rebuilding of the nation. In her remarks, Berwari emphasized the critically important role of women in Iraq's transition to democracy and stability.
"After the Arab Uprisings: Women on Rights, Religion, and Rebuilding" examines ordinary citizens' views on the issues vital to rebuilding after the revolution. The report focuses on several countries that experienced upheaval in 2011, exploring the perspectives of women and men on the role of religious legislation, women's rights, life perceptions, and the economy.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar