The UN’s nuclear watchdog wants access to the controversial site, to investigate allegations an atom bomb “trigger” may have been tested there. Senior Scholar Michael Adlers provides a fact sheet explaining what's going on.
"The primary American mission is to help rebuild the house of cards that is the Iraqi government—a political challenge almost as daunting as devising a strategy to beat back the alienated Sunni (and other) forces in the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS)," writes Robin Wright.
As the latest round of talks begin, Aaron David Miller outlines the three core challenges to achieving an agreement. And while the odds against success are long, “Still, Mr. Kerry has put down a bet worth making.”
One presidential visit won’t forge a reconciliation. But increasing pressures to manage the Iranian nuclear issue, the peace process and Netanyahu’s need to remain relevant in his new government just might, writes Aaron David Miller in The Washington Post.
The Middle East Program will send out the latest developments on women’s issues in the Middle East and North Africa region on a bi-monthly basis.
This new book examines China’s role in the Persian Gulf, evolving views on China from within the Gulf, and what China’s presence means for the United States.
Iran marked the 35th anniversary of its Islamic Revolution on February 11. Shaul Bakhash, who witnessed the revolution first-hand, reflects on the revolution’s tumultuous birth and its legacy and how it differed from the still-born revolution in Egypt during the Arab Spring.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar