Egypt is not on the verge of collapse, nor is such an outcome likely even if violence persists. Still, the government needs to make substantial changes to calm tensions, writes Joshua Stacher in Foreign Affairs.
The reasons to intervene in Syria are just not compelling enough to offset the risks and the unknowns. For the United States to enter the fray as a quasi-combatant would make matters more complicated, not less, writes Aaron David Miller in Foreign Policy.
By Michael Adler, Public Policy Scholar, Woodrow Wilson Center
On the occasion of International Women’s Day, March 8, 2012, the Middle East Program asked a cross-section of women in the MENA region, the United States, and other countries to reflect on how women have fared in the Arab Spring.
The Middle East continues to be a region in turmoil. From civil war in Syria to ongoing attempts to resolve disagreements over Iran’s nuclear program, there is no shortage of strategic challenges. Yuval Steinitz, Israel’s Minister of Intelligence, Strategic Affairs, and International Relations, discusses these and other issues with the Wilson Center’s Director, President, and CEO, Jane Harman, during this episode of REWIND.
Lebanon is finally getting Washington’s attention after spending the last four years languishing on the back burner. The Lebanese are now hopeful that maybe the days when Lebanon was a priority in Washington are upon them once again.
"He represented the very best of American diplomacy. He knew the streets, not just the elites. He had an infectious enthusiasm about the extraordinary history playing out across the Middle East, which he witnessed up close," said Distinguished Scholar Robin Wright on her friend of 25 years, Ambassador Christopher Stevens.
With a Tuesday ceasefire date in doubt and allegations continuing to swirl of military atrocities, it is becoming clearer that the first step of Syria’s political transition should be the removal of President Bashar al-Assad and his family, Wilson Center Director Jane Harman tells MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar