Transcript for a panel discussion on the challenges of researching and writing on recent Middle East history.
Rachid Ould Boussiafa published his project, "The Reality of Algerians in America and their Role in Rapprochement with the Islamic World" as a series of articles on the web site of Echorouk Al Yaoumi.
No one expects a concrete agreement to come out of the P5+1 meeting to revive a diplomatic process that stalled almost a year-and-a-half ago. The success of this meeting hinges on whether the Islamic Republic is serious about making a deal on its nuclear program. But can such a weighty matter hinge on how an Iranian diplomat acts and speaks at a meeting, rather than on whether an agreement is reached? Michael Adler reports from Istanbul.
David Ottaway comments on President Obama's speech to Congress making his case for military action against Syria.
Prime Minister Salam Fayyad's resignation has the potential to inject clarity and honesty into the region's problems, writes Aaron David Miller in this op-ed from The Los Angeles Times.
Confrontation between Israel and Hamas is an old movie. But the grim version playing out now -- with Hamas rockets, particularly use of a long range Fajr 5, aimed at Tel Aviv , Israeli airstrikes and the killing of a top Hamas official -- contains new and disturbing scenes. That said, there is reason to hope this won't turn into a complete disaster film. And Egypt may well be the key.
"Key linkages—billions in recent U.S. weapons sales, counter-terrorism cooperation, and all that oil—will keep Riyadh and Washington together for some time to come, whether each side, deep down, really likes it or not," writes Aaron David Miller.
Pro-democracy rebellions have erupted across the Middle East since December 2010. The Wilson Center's Middle East Program continues to hold meetings to explore effects in different countries and among different groups, including women. Events included a June event in which three female panelists participated in the Wilson Center session from Egypt, via Skype.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
August 25, 2014 // 2:00pm — 4:00pm
Turkey’s Presidential Elections 2014 - What do they mean for Turkey’s democratization process, the Kurdish question and Turkey’s foreign policy?
September 11, 2014 // 12:00pm — 2:00pm
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar