"The days of Iraq as a unitary country that can be ruled by a powerful government in Baghdad are over," writes Marina Ottaway.
Jane Harman joins a panel on MSNBC’s Morning Joe to discuss the U.S. position on Syria in the context of reports of chemical weapons use and the 10-year anniversary of the Iraq War.
In a wide-ranging interview with TIME in Tehran on Dec. 7, Distinguished Scholar Robin Wright interviewed Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammed Javad Zarif about how the Geneva nuclear deal came together, how the government has to appear to Iran’s own parliament not to undermine the interim pact, and how any new sanctions passed by the United States Congress would kill the deal.
In one of the many bizarre twists of Egypt's recent political convulsion, hardline Salafi parties look poised to replace the Muslim Brotherhood as the most important Islamist players in the political process. It's a situation ripe with irony, writes Senior Scholar Marina Ottaway.
2011 Ion Ratiu Democracy Award Winner Nabeel Rajab was told by security personnel at the Cairo International Airport that he is banned from entering Egypt.
"Iraq was never the U.S.'s to win. That point -- along with lowered expectations and focused goals -- must be the basis of any new approach to the region," writes Aaron David Miller.
James Zogby and guests highlight recent polling of Arab and Muslim opinion on Iran and delves into that nation’s declining popularity among citizens around the Middle East.
Shirin Ebadi, Iranian lawyer and winner of the 2003 Nobel Peace Prize, spoke about her struggle to secure basic human rights in Iran and to dispel the notion that Islam and human rights, particularly for women and children, are incompatible. Video of her presentation is available here.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar