By Michael Adler, Public Policy Scholar, Woodrow Wilson Center
The primary reason for Egypt's current travails has much more to do with the choices Egyptians have made and the circumstances those choices have created than the policies of the Obama administration, let alone any sins of omission and commission, writes Aaron David Miller in Foreign Policy.
Europeans feel less of a threat than do Americans, though proliferation remains a concern, EU lawmaker Tarja Cronberg tells Context. “I do not think there is the same sense of urgency ... or [the belief] that Iran could attack Europe.”
After the Aug. 4 inauguration, Rouhani will face a grueling test of the popularity he won at the polls against five other candidates, writes Robin Wright.
The Obama administration is stepping up support for rebels in Syria’s civil war. Distinguished Scholar Robin Wright discusses U.S. leverage in Syria and America's role in the Middle East on the Diane Rehm Show.
Calm has been restored for now, but Iran’s economic problems have not gone away just because protesters have left the streets of Tehran. Iranian businessman and observer Bijan Khajehpour provides insight into the nature and depth of Iran’s economic problems and where it all might lead.
Expectations will be low at Saturday’s meeting on Iran’s controversial nuclear program. But dim hope is better than none at all, Wilson Center expert Michael Adler says. En route to Turkey, he tells Context the talks could reinvigorate diplomatic efforts between the West and Tehran.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar