The Middle East Program and the former Conflict Prevention Project established the Iraqi Women's Democracy Initiative in April 2003, to focus on the substantial role women can and should have in building a new Iraq. This webpage provides information about the workshop series, publications for download, and links to relevant resources.
Former Wilson Center Public Policy Scholar Moushira Khattab was informed by No Peace Without Justice that on December 20, at its 67th Ordinary Session, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) will adopt the Resolution “Intensifying Global Efforts for the elimination of female genital mutilation.”
With just about everyone expecting the need for a runoff, it came as a significant surprise when moderate presidential candidate Hassan Rouhani captured more than 50 percent of the vote. A late surge of enthusiasm and some key endorsements gave Rouhani the victory and seems to have given new life to Iran’s reform movement. Haleh Esfandiari, the Wilson Center’s Middle East Program Director, provides context.
President Obama had given himself until the end of 2009 to decide if Iran is serious about negotiating. Now, "the United States seems headed for a put-up or shut-up moment in its threat to impose sanctions on Iran," writes Wilson Center Public Policy Scholar Michael Adler in this Point of View editorial.
Jane Harman and Aaron David Miller comment on U.S.-Israeli relations in light of the election.
In this interview on CTV News, Distinguished Scholar Robin Wright discusses the nuanced message in Annan’s latest speech and the great stake that Syria’s allies Russia and Iran have in the outcome of the conflict. Would Assad’s ouster bring peace to Syria or would violence erupt among Syria’s various ethnic groups in a bid for power?
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar