One year ago, Egypt was marred by a democratically-elected, autocratic, theocratic president and a deeply flawed constitution. Looking back at the past six months, the fact that Egypt was given a second lease on life and a chance to rewrite the constitution seems like a fairy tale. Is our new constitution a dream constitution? More importantly, could it be a dream that will not come true?
The Middle East Program at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars is pleased to announce the 2012 competition for the Wilson Center's Visiting Arab Journalist Program. One Arab, Middle Eastern or North African journalist will be selected each year. Successful applicants will spend 3 months in residence at the Woodrow Wilson Center, in the heart of Washington, D.C., where they will carry out advanced, policy-oriented research and writing. This program is made possible by generous financial support provided by Dr. David Ottaway, a Senior Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson Center.
There's a great deal we don't know (yet) about John Kerry's efforts to resume negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians. So how are we to know if this process is on the right track and won't become just another woulda/shoulda/coulda enterprise? In this article from ForeignPolicy.com, Aaron David Miller lists five things to look for on the U.S. side.
David Ottaway, a senior scholar at the Wilson Center, has recently returned from Tunisia. This piece is an overview of his observations of current challenges faced by Tunisia’s leadership.
Aaron David Miller considers three core questions that need answering about the military action the president is about to authorize in Syria.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
August 25, 2014 // 2:00pm — 4:00pm
Turkey’s Presidential Elections 2014 - What do they mean for Turkey’s democratization process, the Kurdish question and Turkey’s foreign policy?
September 11, 2014 // 12:00pm — 2:00pm
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar