As the gerontocratic rulers of the House of Saud plot to appoint successors, the inside fight to lead the kingdom is heating up, writes senior scholar David Ottaway.
Israel’s surprising election result gives its wing-clipped prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, an opportunity to shift to the center, to reset the U.S.-Israeli relationship, and to seek a two-state solution, writes Jane Harman.
By David B. Ottaway, Senior Scholar, Woodrow Wilson Center and former Bureau Chief, Washington Post, Cairo
IAEA inspectors were unable to visit Iran’s controversial Parchin nuclear facility despite “intensive efforts” to include the site on a recent itinerary, Wilson Center expert Michael Adler writes in The Daily Beast. Characterizing the omission as a rebuff, Adler says it could ratchet up concerns in the international community that Iran is exploring the use of nuclear technology in military applications.
Robin Wright speaks with Host Arun Rath on NPR's All Things Considered about the "first-step" deal between Iran, the United States, and five world powers, to curb Iran's nuclear program. Wright says the deal is the best option available after decades of sanctions and standoffs.
Farzaneh Roudi writes on the Iranian government's recent reversal of its population policy—its fertility policy, to be more precise. Alarmed by the country’s rapidly aging population, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is calling on women to procreate.
As part of its series on gender issues in the Middle East, the Woodrow Wilson Center’s Middle East Project held, on October 2 and 3, 2001, a two-day conference on “Middle Eastern Women on the Move: Openings for and the Constraints on Women’s Political Participation in the Middle East.”
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar