Wilson Center Senior Scholar Marina Ottaway discussed the legitimacy of the outcome of Egypt's recent elections and the validity of the country's new constitution in a June 6, 2013 National Interest article.
Almost eight years after the invasion of Iraq, U.S. troops are on their way home. The Wilson Center interviews James Zogby, founder and president of the Arab American Institute, about a new poll he conducted to gauge reactions to the withdrawal of American forces.
The Peace Index project is conducted at the Tami Steinmetz Center for Peace Research of Tel Aviv University, headed by Prof. Ephraim Yaar and Dr. Tamar Hermann. The telephone interviews for the Peace Index were conducted by the B. I. Cohen Institute of Tel Aviv University from May 4-6, 2004 and included 581 interviewees who represent the adult Jewish and Arab population of Israel (including the territories and the kibbutzim).
Distinguished Scholar Aaron David Miller writes that right now, the conflict in Syria is less amenable to outside intervention than at any point since it began, precisely because it’s owned — as only a struggle for survival can be — by the parties waging it, not by the members of the Action Group on Syria.
John Kerry has made the Middle East peace process a major priority of his term as secretary of state. But the prospects of success are not very high. That raises the question of what Kerry's strategy is -- and what his motivations are, writes Aaron David Miller in Foreign Affairs.
Egypt is not on the verge of collapse, nor is such an outcome likely even if violence persists. Still, the government needs to make substantial changes to calm tensions, writes Joshua Stacher in Foreign Affairs.
Recent events in the Middle East, including Israel's withdrawal from Gaza and the results of Israeli and Palestinian elections, generated varied reactions among panelists at a May 10 conference, which featured current and former government officials from the region. This was one of several recent meetings to discuss the unfolding situation.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar