Aaron David Miller considers three core questions that need answering about the military action the president is about to authorize in Syria.
Unless the Arabs figure out a way to share power toward some common purpose, the prospects for anything resembling democratic and accountable polities will be slim to none, writes Distinguished Scholar Aaron David Miller.
The wave of unrest sparked by the Tunisian "Burning Man" has toppled regimes and created momentum for change that may not stop until the geopolitical landscape of the entire region is transformed. With one year in the history books, we turned to a panel of regional experts to gain their perspectives on the larger meaning of the events of the past year.
Click to see the table of contents, or download the full PDF below.
Although Iran’s mastery of the nuclear fuel cycle presents an inherent option for creating a bomb, the Tehran regime has no urgent incentive to build nuclear weapons. Current U.S. policy, which emphasizes coercive sanctions and diplomatic isolation to compel Iran to comply with its obligations under the nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT), would fall squarely under the rubric of containment, even as the term has been eschewed and delegitimized in the U.S. policy debate. As long as Iran does not overtly cross the U.S. “red line” of weaponization, U.S. policy will likely remain containment in form, if not in name.
In this Director's Forum, Nesreen Berwari, Minister for Municipalities and Public Works in Iraq outlined what has been accomplished and what lies ahead in the rebuilding of the nation. In her remarks, Berwari emphasized the critically important role of women in Iraq's transition to democracy and stability.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar