In this cover story from the summer issue of Centerpoint, Iraqi women and international policymakers convene at the Wilson Center for a two-day conference to discuss the strategic role women can and should play in post-conflict Iraq. This conference was sponsored by the Center's Conflict Prevention and Middle East Projects and the organization Women Waging Peace.
Given that Iraqis have experienced relatively democratic elections, Sassoon analyzes the economic lessons of an Arab country emerging from an authoritarian regime and assesses the pitfalls that other Arab countries might encounter with their nascent democracies.
Transcript for a panel discussion on the challenges of researching and writing on recent Middle East history.
Rachid Ghannouchi, the leader of the Ennahda party in Tunisia, discussed the recent developments in Tunisia including the new constitution, reasons for the democratic transition’s success, and challenges ahead for the country.
Robert Litwak analyzes the implications of Syria for Iran’s nuclear challenge
Jane Harman appears on MSNBC's Morning Joe to discuss allegations of chemical weapon use in Syria.
What do most cases of suicide terrorism have in common? Ami Pedazhur, an expert on suicide terrorism, describes the organizational, community, and personal levels of what he considers a social political phenomenon.
In the wake of President Obama’s reelection, senior Iranian officials close to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei are speaking publicly of direct talks with the United States over Iran’s nuclear program. But it remains unclear if Khamenei is ready. His deep suspicions of the United States and reservations regarding the utility of negotiations with Washington remain in place.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar