“Iran is reverting to the failed policies of the past,” says Middle East Program Director Haleh Esfandiari in a Q&A on the decision of 36 Iranian universities to limit access to or altogether bar women from certain academic fields.
Israeli-Palestinian talks are set to begin this week. How will we know if progress is being made? Aaron Miller says there are signs to look for to see if the talks are going anywhere.
The international community is taking gradual—yet effective—steps to secure nuclear materials, with Russia “turning the corner from nuclear problem state to nuclear solution state,” Carnegie’s Matthew Rojansky says. In this interview, he and other experts assess the 2012 Nuclear Security Summit in Seoul.
The new Middle East Program monograph "Iran's Nuclear Chess: Calculating America's Moves" by Robert Litwak, vice president for scholars and director of international security studies at the Wilson Center, addresses the nuclear negotiations between the P5+1 and Iran and the implications for U.S. policy toward Iran.
Click to see the table of contents, or download the full PDF below.
The interim agreement on Iran’s nukes was fuzzy, but now the real talks have begun on what sort of capacities—from centrifuges to missiles—the Islamic Republic will retain in a new deal, writes Michael Adler.
Read the presentation given by Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad, Special Presidential Envoy for Afghanistan
Robin Wright comments on President Obama's speech to Congress making his case for military action against Syria.
When Iran meets with Western powers Saturday, it surely won’t agree to changes in its nuclear program, diplomats say, writes Public Policy Scholar Michael Adler. But an agreement to keep talking will be encouragement enough.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar