"Even as we work to stabilize the region, we absolutely must keep in mind the end game. For al Qaeda and the rest of the transnational jihadist movement, the brass ring remains a major attack on Western soil," writes Jane Harman.
Robin Wright spoke on a panel on MSNBC's Morning Joe about the nuclear deal reached with Iran over the weekend.
What place does gender reform have in modern Islamic societies? A May 4 conference sponsored by the Middle East Program examined the efforts of reformist women to improve the status of women throughout the region.
2011 Ion Ratiu Democracy Award Winner Nabeel Rajab was told by security personnel at the Cairo International Airport that he is banned from entering Egypt.
Is John Kerry quietly on the cusp of a Israel-Palestine peace talks breakthrough? Aaron Miller writes that while the odds of success are long, there is reason to believe.
The Middle East Project at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars arranged a series of meetings on June 25 and 26, 2001, to assess the June 9 presidential elections in Iran. A number of Iranian specialists from Iran and the U.S. took part in the sessions. This publication brings together the papers presented at these meetings.
After taking over the presidential office in early August, President-elect Hassan Rouhani will face a long host of economic challenges. He has made the economy—especially tackling unemployment—his highest priority, but it is clear that the process of reversing the negative trends of the past few years will be a medium-term process. This brief will discuss the challenges as well as the approaches of the emerging Rouhani government in the field of economy.
The recent arrest of Nabeel Rajab, Bahraini human rights activist and recipient of the 2011 Ion Ratiu Democracy Award, has drawn world-wide media attention. Human rights organizations have issued statements in support of releasing the activist, as media networks reported on the arrest.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar