Many analysts have rushed to declare a political outcome for Egypt's transition. Stacher argues that we must understand Egypt’s transition as a process of change rather than a finalized outcome. In doing so, he details the structural limits of governing Egypt as well as the receding capacity of state elites to deploy repression as a means of political control.
Distinguished Scholar Aaron David Miller writes that right now, the conflict in Syria is less amenable to outside intervention than at any point since it began, precisely because it’s owned — as only a struggle for survival can be — by the parties waging it, not by the members of the Action Group on Syria.
Public Policy Scholar Michael Adler interviewed IAEA Chief Yukiya Amano and reports in Breaking Defense that Iran’s recent slow down on its nuclear program could signal a readiness to create favorable conditions for a deal with the U.S.
For the last 30 years, the United States and Iran largely have remained estranged from each other, but the Obama administration has expressed interest in a dialogue with Iran. Two recent Middle East Program events explored whether negotiation is possible in the current atmosphere.
On June 20, 2012, the Wilson Center’s Middle East Program hosted a meeting on “The Arab Awakening: Is Democracy a Mirage?” This publication brings together the talks presented at the meeting.
Wilson Center Scholar Robin Wright and Les Gelb, President Emeritus of the Council on Foreign Relations talk on “Charlie Rose” about the escalating crisis in Iraq.
"Given its deepening sectarian and ethnic divisions—and the absence of a cohesive or effective military—the modern Iraqi state may not hold," writes Robin Wright.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar