In recent weeks, Lamberto Zannier has travelled to Kiev on numerous occasions, as well as to Moscow and other European capitals, attempting to defuse the ongoing crisis. During a recent conversation with Wilson Center President Jane Harman, Zannier presented the OSCE’s priorities for restoring stability in Ukraine and discussed the impact of the crisis on European and Euro-Atlantic security. That’s the focus of this edition of REWIND.
On Tuesday, May 13, 2014, Eugene K. Lawson, Chairman and CEO of Lawson International, Inc., and Paul Rodzianko, Chairman of the Hermitage Museum Foundation (USA), were presented with the Woodrow Wilson Award at the Kennan Institute’s Davis Dinner. The event commemorated the Wilson Center’s 40th anniversary.
In the wake of Russian aggression in Ukraine, the topic of European security and NATO expansion post-Cold War is being discussed with renewed urgency. During a recent special event at the Wilson Center, the issue was explored by an impressive panel that featured keynote remarks from US Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel. That’s the focus of this edition of REWIND.
"I tend to think this is an exceptionally dangerous situation for the simple reason that the Russian message 'Take us seriously or else' has never received a satisfactory answer," said Matthew Rojansky on Russia's annexation of Crimea.
Listening to the rhetoric surrounding Russia’s move on Crimea, you might think the Cold War never ended. Why did Putin make this move and is there more in store? And how significant is the damage done to Russia’s relationships around the world? Kennan Institute’s Matt Rojansky offers insight into the situation during this episode of Wilson Center NOW.
Experts & Staff
- Matthew Rojansky // Director, Kennan Institute
- William E. Pomeranz // Deputy Director, Kennan Institute
- F. Joseph Dresen // Program Associate
- Mary Elizabeth Malinkin // Program Associate
- Izabella Tabarovsky // Manager for Regional Engagement
- Mattison Brady // Program Assistant
- Emma Dorst // Program Assistant
- Blair A. Ruble // Vice President for Programs; Director, Urban Sustainability Laboratory; and Senior Advisor, Kennan Institute
- Kateryna Smagliy // Director, Kennan Institute in Ukraine
- Nina Rozhanovskaya // Coordinator and Academic Liaison in Russia