Michael Adler spoke to Yukiya Amano, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency, on the Iranian nuclear deal.
"Yet there is one reason for the president's caution that he almost never mentions -- and it may be one of the most compelling. Not surprisingly, it is derivative of Obama's most important foreign-policy objective in the Middle East: a nuclear deal with Iran," writes Aaron David Miller.
The Middle East Program of the Woodrow Wilson Center hosted a meeting with Saad Eddine El Othmani, the former Moroccan Minister of Foreign Affairs, on “Political Developments in Morocco: The African Context.”
Jane Harman appeared on MSNBC's "The Daily Rundown" with Time magazine's world editor Bobby Ghosh to discuss the Iran sanctions bill and Russia's oil-for-goods negotiations with Iran. "We've spent 10 years imposing sanctions to get to the point where we can talk to Iran, so let's talk to Iran," Harman said.
"Love him or hate him, Ariel Sharon was a stunningly consequential, larger than life, and historic figure," writes Aaron David Miller.
Is John Kerry quietly on the cusp of a Israel-Palestine peace talks breakthrough? Aaron Miller writes that while the odds of success are long, there is reason to believe.
On the 3rd anniversary of the Arab Spring, Jane Harman writes about the need for U.S. "long diplomacy" to help fill the power vacuum in the region in the wake of uprisings.
The Wilson Center is deeply saddened by the horrific death of Mohamad Chatah, Lebanon's former Finance Minister and Ambassador to the U.S., writes Jane Harman.
In 2013, the Middle East Program at the Woodrow Wilson Center produced 44 publications and 63 meetings. The summary of all of our activities is in the attachment below.
In a wide-ranging interview with TIME in Tehran on Dec. 7, Distinguished Scholar Robin Wright interviewed Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammed Javad Zarif about how the Geneva nuclear deal came together, how the government has to appear to Iran’s own parliament not to undermine the interim pact, and how any new sanctions passed by the United States Congress would kill the deal.
January 30, 2015 // 12:15pm — 1:15pm
February 04, 2015 // 1:30pm — 4:15pm
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Julia Romano // Program Assistant
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Roya Hakakian // Fellow
- Lilia Labidi // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Max Rodenbeck // Fellow
- Joseph Sassoon // Fellow
- Abdulkader Sinno // Fellow
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar