U.S. and Iranian officials are praising nuclear talks in Geneva this week as a key diplomatic success, but the problems that torpedoed previous efforts to win guarantees from Iran that it will not seek the bomb appear undiminished, writes Michael Adler on The Daily Beast.
Former Wilson Center public policy scholar Moushira Khattab on Egypt's decision to offer to host a regional office for the United Nations High Commission on Human Rights (OHCHR).
In this interview on The Takeaway, Middle East Program Director Haleh Esfandiari and Retired Air Force Colonel Dave Roeder discussed the way forward for Iran-U.S. relations.
The Obama administration's effort to negotiate a deal on the nuclear issue is going to be an unpredictable ride, but any deal will need to acknowledge the politics on both sides, writes Aaron David Miller.
The Syrians created a crisis by using chemical weapons in a massive attack on August 21, President Barack Obama threatened force but then vacillated, and Russian President Vladimir Putin, recognizing both Obama's strengths and his weaknesses, stepped up, grabbed center stage, and inserted himself directly into a process he'd long avoided. It shows that the right combination of pain and gain is what creates openings and drives big decisions.
How has Egypt fared since the military’s removal of President Morsi? Has the situation stabilized and is the nation on a path toward meaningful and lasting democratic reforms? Mohamed Anwar El Sadat, a nephew of the late Egyptian President Anwar Sadat, and Sameh Fawzy, who was appointed to Egypt’s Shura Council by former President Morsi, provide context.
In this op-ed, Robin Wright provides a scorecard on how the U.S.-Russia deal to rid Syria of its chemical weapons may play out for some of the key players.
Marina Ottaway comments on President Obama's speech to Congress making his case for military action against Syria.
Robert Litwak analyzes the implications of Syria for Iran’s nuclear challenge
Aaron David Miller argues that Obama's speech won't sell war-weary Americans on Syria
January 30, 2015 // 12:15pm — 1:15pm
February 04, 2015 // 1:30pm — 4:15pm
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Julia Romano // Program Assistant
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Roya Hakakian // Fellow
- Lilia Labidi // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Max Rodenbeck // Fellow
- Joseph Sassoon // Fellow
- Abdulkader Sinno // Fellow
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar