“Showing utter disregard for basic rights is no way for Cairo to prove its claim of transitioning back to democratic rule—or convincing the outside world that Egypt is a safe place to travel or to invest,” writes Robin Wright.
Wilson Center Scholar Robin Wright, David Ignatius, Tavis Smiley and CBS News Political Director John Dickerson discuss Secretary of State John Kerry's trip to push the Middle East to address the instability in Iraq.
"The primary American mission is to help rebuild the house of cards that is the Iraqi government—a political challenge almost as daunting as devising a strategy to beat back the alienated Sunni (and other) forces in the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS)," writes Robin Wright.
"Even as we work to stabilize the region, we absolutely must keep in mind the end game. For al Qaeda and the rest of the transnational jihadist movement, the brass ring remains a major attack on Western soil," writes Jane Harman.
Jane Harman discusses possible U.S. response to militants advances in Iraq on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace.
"We didn't sign up for nation-building, kept denying that's what we wanted to do, and in the end stopped trying," writes Aaron David Miller.
"Given its deepening sectarian and ethnic divisions—and the absence of a cohesive or effective military—the modern Iraqi state may not hold," writes Robin Wright.
Wilson Center Scholar Robin Wright and Les Gelb, President Emeritus of the Council on Foreign Relations talk on “Charlie Rose” about the escalating crisis in Iraq.
"The days of Iraq as a unitary country that can be ruled by a powerful government in Baghdad are over," writes Marina Ottaway.
"Iran will need to be involved in any international solution to the chaos that has overtaken Iraq. But while there may be some commanders of the Revolutionary Guards who are arguing to send in military forces, Iran is unlikely to do more than send advisers to assist the Iraqi military, without committing its own forces," writes Haleh Esfandiari.
July 08, 2015 // 11:00am — 12:15pm
July 13, 2015 // 9:30am — 11:00am
Experts & Staff
- Henri Barkey // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Julia Romano // Program Assistant
- Ismail Alexandrani // Visiting Arab Journalist
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Laura Blumenfeld // Public Policy Fellow
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Jeffrey Goldberg // Distinguished Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Max Rodenbeck // Wilson Center Fellow
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director Emerita, Middle East Program