Rachid Ould Boussiafa published his project, "The Reality of Algerians in America and their Role in Rapprochement with the Islamic World" as a series of articles on the web site of Echorouk Al Yaoumi.
The age and illness of King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al-Saud of Saudi Arabia have raised anew the concern that the fate of the world's key oil producer is now in the hands of an ailing gerontocracy. Wilson Center Senior Scholar David Ottaway analyzes the line to the Saudi crown.
Women in the Middle East continue to strive for equality and justice throughout the region. Several recent Middle East Program meetings explored the progress in some countries and some of the challenges that remain.
The Woodrow Wilson Center and the United States Institute of Peace announce the release of The Iran Primer: Power, Politics and U.S. Policy, an unprecedented project by 50 of the world's top scholars on Iran, edited by USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar Robin Wright.
The Middle East Program at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars is pleased to announce the 2012 competition for the Wilson Center's Visiting Arab Journalist Program. One Arab, Middle Eastern or North African journalist will be selected each year. Successful applicants will spend 3 months in residence at the Woodrow Wilson Center, in the heart of Washington, D.C., where they will carry out advanced, policy-oriented research and writing. This program is made possible by generous financial support provided by Dr. David Ottaway, a Senior Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson Center.
President Obama had given himself until the end of 2009 to decide if Iran is serious about negotiating. Now, "the United States seems headed for a put-up or shut-up moment in its threat to impose sanctions on Iran," writes Wilson Center Public Policy Scholar Michael Adler in this Point of View editorial.
For the last 30 years, the United States and Iran largely have remained estranged from each other, but the Obama administration has expressed interest in a dialogue with Iran. Two recent Middle East Program events explored whether negotiation is possible in the current atmosphere.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar