"The many layers of Yemen’s crisis are unlikely to be solved by military means," writes Robin Wright.
"Lack of jobs is only one of several issues that have disillusioned Tunisia’s young and enticed some of them to militancy," writes Robin Wright.
"The only thing that’s certain now is that if the Western world and Persian Gulf states do not help Tunisia tackle its unemployment and the sociological malaise of the younger generation, things there will grow worse before there is any hope of improvement," writes Haleh Esfandiari and Jason Brodsky.
What an Israeli government will look like if Bibi Netanyahu loses the election to the Labor Party candidate -- and what it could accomplish according to Aaron David Miller.
"Secretary of State John Kerry’s comments Sunday that the Obama administration is considering negotiating with the Assad regime to achieve a political settlement in Syria is less stunning news than an acknowledgement that U.S. policy toward Syria has failed," writes Aaron David Miller.
"The peculiarities of Israel’s electoral system suggest there’s little use in trying to call Tuesday’s elections," writes Aaron David Miller.
"The Syrian Center for Policy Research, which is supported by two United Nations agencies, concludes that human development is 'rapidly regressing,' which is destabilizing a country that has long been the strategic center of the Middle East," writes Robin Wright.
"To veil or not to veil should be a matter of personal choice, a right that all women should be able freely to exercise," writes Haleh Esfandiari.
"Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu‘s unrelenting condemnation of the nuclear agreement being negotiated with Iran was received with ovations in Congress and by audiences at AIPAC, the pro-Israel lobby. In Iran, however, the response has been more varied and more nuanced," writes Haleh Esfandiari.
Unless you are on the inside and in touch with the rhythm of the talks, it’s tough to assess matters accurately, but here are five reasons to think a deal may be closer than ever according to Aaron David Miller.
June 02, 2015 // 12:00pm — 1:00pm
June 03, 2015 // 10:00am — 11:00am
June 03, 2015 // 12:00pm — 1:00pm
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Julia Romano // Program Assistant
- Ismail Alexandrani // Visiting Arab Journalist
- Ghasaq Basel Abd Al-Raheem //
- Mohammed Al-Shami //
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Laura Blumenfeld // Public Policy Fellow
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Jeffrey Goldberg // Distinguished Fellow
- Lilia Labidi // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Max Rodenbeck // Fellow
- Joseph Sassoon // Fellow
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar