“Overcoming sectarian divisions won’t solve Iraq’s crisis. Embracing them will,” writes Marina Ottaway.
“Showing utter disregard for basic rights is no way for Cairo to prove its claim of transitioning back to democratic rule—or convincing the outside world that Egypt is a safe place to travel or to invest,” writes Robin Wright.
Wilson Center Scholar Robin Wright, David Ignatius, Tavis Smiley and CBS News Political Director John Dickerson discuss Secretary of State John Kerry's trip to push the Middle East to address the instability in Iraq.
"The primary American mission is to help rebuild the house of cards that is the Iraqi government—a political challenge almost as daunting as devising a strategy to beat back the alienated Sunni (and other) forces in the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS)," writes Robin Wright.
"Even as we work to stabilize the region, we absolutely must keep in mind the end game. For al Qaeda and the rest of the transnational jihadist movement, the brass ring remains a major attack on Western soil," writes Jane Harman.
Jane Harman discusses possible U.S. response to militants advances in Iraq on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace.
"We didn't sign up for nation-building, kept denying that's what we wanted to do, and in the end stopped trying," writes Aaron David Miller.
"Given its deepening sectarian and ethnic divisions—and the absence of a cohesive or effective military—the modern Iraqi state may not hold," writes Robin Wright.
Wilson Center Scholar Robin Wright and Les Gelb, President Emeritus of the Council on Foreign Relations talk on “Charlie Rose” about the escalating crisis in Iraq.
"The days of Iraq as a unitary country that can be ruled by a powerful government in Baghdad are over," writes Marina Ottaway.
September 22, 2014 // 2:00pm — 4:00pm
September 22, 2014 // 4:00pm — 5:30pm
September 29, 2014 // 12:00pm — 1:30pm
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Michael Adler // Former Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar