The Obama administration's effort to negotiate a deal on the nuclear issue is going to be an unpredictable ride, but any deal will need to acknowledge the politics on both sides, writes Aaron David Miller.
The Syrians created a crisis by using chemical weapons in a massive attack on August 21, President Barack Obama threatened force but then vacillated, and Russian President Vladimir Putin, recognizing both Obama's strengths and his weaknesses, stepped up, grabbed center stage, and inserted himself directly into a process he'd long avoided. It shows that the right combination of pain and gain is what creates openings and drives big decisions.
How has Egypt fared since the military’s removal of President Morsi? Has the situation stabilized and is the nation on a path toward meaningful and lasting democratic reforms? Mohamed Anwar El Sadat, a nephew of the late Egyptian President Anwar Sadat, and Sameh Fawzy, who was appointed to Egypt’s Shura Council by former President Morsi, provide context.
In this op-ed, Robin Wright provides a scorecard on how the U.S.-Russia deal to rid Syria of its chemical weapons may play out for some of the key players.
Marina Ottaway comments on President Obama's speech to Congress making his case for military action against Syria.
Robert Litwak analyzes the implications of Syria for Iran’s nuclear challenge
Aaron David Miller argues that Obama's speech won't sell war-weary Americans on Syria
David Ottaway comments on President Obama's speech to Congress making his case for military action against Syria.
Robin Wright comments on President Obama's speech to Congress making his case for military action against Syria.
Haleh Esfandiari comments on President Obama's speech to Congress making his case for military action against Syria.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar