Wilson Center Experts
Christian F. Ostermann
Christian F. Ostermann is director of the History and Public Policy Program (HAPP) as well as the director of the Global Europe Program (GE) at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. Under his purview as director of HAPP and GE, Ostermann also oversees the Cold War International History Program (CWIHP), the European Energy Security Initiative (EESI), the North Korea International Documentation Project (NKIDP) and the Nuclear Proliferation International History Project (NPIHP). Additionally, Ostermann has chaired the Ion Ratiu Democracy Award since 2006, and currently serves as a co-editor of Cold War History as well as an editor of the CWIHP Bulletin. Ostermann also often works as a consultant on many historical documentaries.
Prior to joining the Wilson Center in 1997 as an associate director of CWIHP, Ostermann worked as a research fellow at The George Washington University’s National Security Archive, involvement that still continues today with his role as a Senior Research Fellow at the National Security Archive. At the same time, Ostermann also worked as a lecturer in history and international affairs at Georgetown University and The George Washington University. Further back, before coming to Washington, he studied in Bonn, Cologne and Hamburg and worked as a research fellow at the Commission for the History of Parliament and Political Parties in Bonn, Germany. Ostermann is the author of numerous publications including The Rise and Fall of Détente on the Korean Peninsula, 1970-1974 (2011), edited with James Person; Crisis and Confrontation on the Korean Peninsula: 1968-1969 (2010), edited with James Person; Connecting Histories: Decolonization and the Cold War in Southeast Asia, 1945-1962(2010), ed. with Christopher Goscha; Inside China’s Cold War (CWIHP Bulletin 16 (2008/2009)) and Uprising in East Germany 1953: The Cold War, The German Question, and the First Major Upheaval Behind the Iron Curtain (2001) with Charlers S. Maier.
More on Christian Ostermann
- Culture Clash at Checkpoint Charlie
- Shudder at the Black Box
- CWIHP Director, Christian F. Ostermann has been appointed as a member to the Department of Interior's Cold War Advisory Committee
- HAPP Director Christian Ostermann is featured in the Kyunghyang Shinmun
- Connecting Histories: Decolonization and the Cold War in South East Asia, 1945-1962, edited by CWIHP Director Christian Ostermann is reviewed on H-Diplo
- Review on Connecting Histories. Decolonization and the Cold War in Southeast Asia, 1945-1962
- Review by Balazs Szalontai on Connecting Histories: Decolonization and the Cold War in Southeast Asia, 1945-1962
- Review by Ruud van Dijk on Uprising in East Germany 1953: The Cold War, the German Question, and the First Major Upheaval Behind the Iron Curtain
- New book by European Studies Program Director Christian Ostermann Reviewed on German Radio
- CWIHP In the News: CWIHP Director Christian Ostermann quoted in Washington Post
- CWIHP Director Christian Ostermann to Provide Keynote Address at Opening Conference of The Diefenbunker, Canada's Cold War Museum
- CWIHP Director Christian Ostermann at Conference on UNESCO and the Cold War
- CWIHP Director Christian Ostermann Delivers Inaugural Lecture in The Cold War in Southeast Asia Seminar Series
- CWIHP Director Christian Ostermann Briefs UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan
- CWIHP Director Christian Ostermann Speaks at Sighet Summer School in Sighet, Romania
- CWIHP Director Christian Ostermann at the International Conference "Soviet-American Relations: The Détente Years, 1969–1972."
- CWIHP Director Christian F. Ostermann participates in Conference on "Italy and the Vietnam War"
- CWIHP Director Christian F. Ostermann gives Keynote at Gorbachev Foundation Conference
- CWIHP Director Christian Ostermann to Chair Panel at Conference Fateful Eights in Czech History
- CWIHP Director Christian Ostermann Participates in Historic Havana Conference on the 1961 Bay of Pigs Episode
- Ostermann visits to Ukraine October 1-9 to develop CWIHP contacts