Wilson Center Experts
A. Ross Johnson
A. Ross Johnson is a visiting fellow at the Hoover Institution, adviser to the Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) Archive Project at Hoover, and senior scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.
Johnson was a senior executive of RFE/RL from 1988 to 2002, serving as director of Radio Free Europe, director of the RFE/RL Research Institute, and acting president and counselor of RFE/RL. He was a senior staff member of the RAND Corporation from 1969 to 1988, where he specialized in East European and Soviet security issues. He was a visiting RAND research fellow at the Foundation for Science and Politics, Germany, in 1983–85.
In recognition of his contribution in preserving the archives of the RFE/RL Polish service, Johnson received the Laurel Award from the prime minister of Poland in 2001 and a citation for Meritorious Service to Polish Culture from the Polish minister of culture in 1996.
- A New Vision for US Global Media, with R. Eugene Parta, HAPP Occasional Paper, November 2012.
- " 'No one is Afraid to Talk to Us Anymore' Radio Free Europe in 1989," in Vladimir Tismaneanu with Bogdan C. Iakob, The End and the Beginning; The Revolutions of 1989 and the Resurgence of History, CEU Press, 2012, 313-330.
- “Today’s Liberation Technologies,” Hoover Digest, no. 3 (2011);
- Cold War Broadcasting: Impact on the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe: A Collection of Studies and Documents (CEU Press, 2010, co-edited with R. Eugene Parta);
- Radio Free Europe and Radio Liberty: The CIA Years and Beyond (WWC and Stanford U. Press, 2010);
- Communicating with the World of Islam (Hoover Press, 2008, editor);
- “To the Barricades; Did Radio Free Europe inflame the Hungarian revolutionaries of 1956? Exploring one of the Cold War's most stubborn myths,” Hoover Digest, no. 4 (2007);
- "Setting the Record Straight: Radio Free Europe and the 1956 Hungarian Revolution, "History and Public Policy Program Occasional Paper #3, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, October 2006
- "Cold war Broadcasting Impact," co-author, Hoover Institution, 2005
- "Kosovo: Keeping the Lid On," Hoover Digest, No. 3 (2004);
- "Security and Insecurity in the Balkans," in Klaus Lange and Leonid L. Fituni, eds., Integrating Regional and Global Security Cooperation (Hanns Seidel Stiftung, 2002);
- East European Armed Forces and Soviet Military Planning; Factors of Change (RAND Corporation, 1989);
- Political Change and Dissent in Eastern Europe (RAND Corporation, 1987);
- East European Military Reliability: An Émigré-Based Assessment (RAND Corporation, 1986);
- Political Leadership in Yugoslavia: Evolution of the League of Communists (RAND Corporation, 1983;
- Coauthor of East European Military Establishments: The Warsaw Pact Northern Tier (Crane Russak, 1982);
- The Yugoslav Military Elite (RAND Corporation, 1977);
- The Transformation of Communist Ideology, the Yugoslav Case, 1945–1953 (MIT Press, 1972).