Wilson Center Experts
Ph.D., Institute for the U.S. and Canada Studies of the Academy of Sciences in Moscow
Professor of Soviet politics and international relations at Amherst College, Ohio University, Stanford University, and the University of Michigan; Visiting Fellow at the Norwegian Nobel Institute; Visiting Scholar at the Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies at the Woodrow Wilson Center; Appeared on PBS, the Learning Channel and CNN as a consultant and commentator
Russian studies, Cold War politics, Russian intellectual history.
- D.S.Likhachev v obshchestvennoi zhizni Rossii kontsa XX veka [Dmitry Likhachev in the public life of Russia at the end of the 20th century] (St. Petersburg: Evropeiskii Dom, October 2011);
- Zhivago’s Children: The Last Russian Intelligentsia (Harvard University Press, 2009);
- A Failed Empire: The Soviet Union in the Cold War from Stalin to Gorbachev (The University of North Carolina Press, 2007) Published in translation in Russia, Poland, Spain, and Estonia;
- Anti-Americanism in Russia: From Stalin to Putin, with Eric Shiraev (Palgrave Press, 2000);
- Inside the Kremlin's Cold War. From Stalin to Khrushchev, with Constantin Pleshakov (Harvard University Press, 1996) Published in translation in Germany, Poland, and the People’s Republic of China.
- Società totalitarie e transizione alla democrazia [Totalitarian society and transition to democracy] (il Mulino, Bologna 2011), editor;
- Masterpieces of History: A Peaceful End of the Cold War in Europe, 1989, editor with Svetlana Savranskaia and Thomas Blanton (Central European University Press, 2010).
Selected Papers and Chapters
- “Soviet intellectuals after Stalin’s death and their visions of the cold war’s end” in: Frédéric Bozo, Marie-Pierre Rey, N. Piers Ludlow, and Bernd Rother, eds,. Overcoming the Iron Curtain: Visions of the End of the Cold War in Europe, 1945–1990. Vol. 11, Contemporary European History (Berghahn Books, March 2012);
- “Gorbachev’s Policy toward East Asia, 1985-1991,” in: Tsuyoshi Hasegawa, ed., The Cold War in East Asia 1945-1991 (Stanford University Press, 2011);
- “Soviet foreign policy from Détente to Gorbachev, 1975-1985,” in: Melvyn Leffler and Odd Arne Westad, eds., Cambridge History of the Cold War, Vol. 3 (Cambridge University Press, 2010);
- “The Soviet Union and détente of the 1970s,” Cold War History, Vol. 8, Issue 4 (November 2008);
- "Khrushchev and the Berlin Crisis, 1958-62" (CWIHP Working Paper 6);
- "Soviet Intelligence and the Cold War" (CWIHP Working Paper 4).