The Kennan Institute U.S. Alumni Series aims to highlight the latest research by former Kennan Institute scholars who have received support from the Title VIII program. Throughout the academic year, speakers from various disciplines, including political science, anthropology, sociology, and history, will present findings from their recent articles and books.
Paul du Quenoy discussed the challenges, rewards, and new perspectives that flow from researching Russia at American academic institutions in the turbulent Middle East. Drawing on his experiences in Beirut and Cairo, he shared insights on teaching and pedagogy and describe his current research, which links the Middle East region to Imperial Russian diplomacy.
Kate Brown presented "Plutopia", the first history of Richland, Washington and Ozersk, Russia, two communities developed in parallel by opposing nations at the height of the Cold War.
Stephen Crowley, Professor of Politics and Chair, Russian & East European Studies, Oberlin College, and former Title VIII-Supported Research Scholar, Kennan Institute
Cosponsored by the Middle East Program, Woodrow Wilson Center || Kennan Institute U.S. Alumni Series || Moscow does not want to see Tehran acquire nuclear weapons. Despite this, Russia has been reluctant to cooperate much with the U.S. in preventing this. In his talk, Mark N. Katz, Professor of Government and Politics, George Mason University, and former Title VIII-Supported Research and Short-Term Scholar, Kennan Institute, will discuss why this is.
Experts & Staff
- Matthew Rojansky // Director, Kennan Institute
- William E. Pomeranz // Deputy Director, Kennan Institute
- F. Joseph Dresen // Program Associate
- Mary Elizabeth Malinkin // Program Associate
- Mattison Brady // Program Assistant
- Blair A. Ruble // Vice President for Programs; Director, Urban Sustainability Laboratory; and Senior Advisor, Kennan Institute
- Fulbright-Kennan Institute Research Scholarships
- Kennan Institute Title VIII-Supported Short-Term Grant
- Kennan Institute Title VIII-Supported Summer Research Scholarships
- Internships with the Kennan Institute
- Galina Starovoitova Fellowship on Human Rights and Conflict Resolution
- Program Associate- Kennan Institute