The Detroit-Windsor area, home to the Ambassador Bridge and Detroit-Windsor Tunnel, is one of the most heavily used border crossings in the world. Congestion at the current Detroit-Windsor border crossings costs businesses as much as US$16 billion each year.
Shiprider, officially the Integrated Cross-Border Maritime Law Enforcement Operations (ICMLEO), allows the U.S. Coast Guard and Royal Canadian Mounted Police to jointly conduct cross-border surveillance and law enforcement. This joint U.S.-Canadian maritime security program closes loopholes that criminals once exploited in shared U.S.-Canada waterways.
Sign up for the Canada Institute Newsletter
Experts & Staff
- David Biette // Director, Canada Institute
- Andrew Finn // Program Associate, Canada Institute
- Megan Geckle // Program Assistant, Canada Institute
- Kathryn Friedman // Global Fellow
- Wenran Jiang // Global Fellow
- Jacqueline Krikorian // Fulbright Visiting Research Chair in US-Canada Relations
- Nik Nanos // Global Fellow
- Vanessa Jarnes // Intern, Canada Institute
- Ryan Taylor // Intern, Canada Institute
- Stephanie Van den Berg // Intern, Canada Institute