*THIS EVENT WILL BE HELD AT BARNARD COLLEGE*
The Women in Public Service is excited to announce a joint event in partnership with Barnard College entitled, “A Global Conversation: Why the UN Must Focus on Women’s Leadership.”
As the United Nations convenes its 68th General Assembly to tackle some of humanity’s most intractable problems, please join us for an exploration of key issues facing women today. Barnard College President Debora Spar, the Women in Public Service Project, and the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars welcome a panel of UN representatives and global leaders for an evening of dialogue and discussion.
Welcome by Debora Spar, President of Barnard College
Introductions by Jane Harman, Director, President and CEO of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
Keynote by Helen Clark, Administrator, UN Development Programme; Former Prime Minister, New Zealand
Panel of Distinguished Speakers moderated by Melanne Verveer, Executive Director, Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security; Former Ambassador-at-Large for Global Women’s Issues, State Department
Wafa Bugaighis, Deputy Foreign Minister, Libya
Kimberly Marten, Ann Whitney Olin Professor of Political Science, Barnard College
Lakshmi Puri, Deputy Executive Director, UN Women
Claudia Ruiz Massieu Salinas, Secretary of Tourism, Mexico
Closing by Rangita de Silva de Alwis, Director of the Women in Public Service Project and the Global Women’s Leadership Initiative at the Wilson Center
Following the panel, a select group of student leaders, each chosen from the Women in Public Service Project partner colleges across the country—Barnard, Bryn Mawr, City College, Mills, Mount Holyoke, Mount Saint Mary’s, Scripps, Smith, UMass Lowell and Wellesley—will lead the distinguished panelists in a Q & A session.
Registration is required for this event. To register, visit barnard.edu/event-registration.
To learn more about our speakers, please read their biographies here.
- Director, President and CEO, Wilson Center
- Former Director, Global Women’s Leadership Initiative (GWLI)
- Executive Director, Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security; Former Ambassador-at-Large for Global Women’s Issues, State Department
- Deputy Foreign Minister, Libya
- Ann Whitney Olin Professor of Political Science, Barnard College
- Assistant Secretary-General of the United Nations and Deputy Executive Director of UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- President of Barnard College
- Secretary of Tourism, Mexico