Ice-Diminishing Arctic: Speaker Interview Series
A series of interviews with select speakers and attendees of IDA.
Connect With Us
On July 17 and 18, 2019, the US Arctic Research Commission, Wilson Center's Polar Institute, and US National Ice Center hosted the 8th Biennial Symposium on the Impacts of an Ice-Diminishing Arctic on Naval and Maritime Operations (IDA). Speakers discussed a wide array of issues facing the Arctic region, including: marine transportation; federal, state, local, and international operations; security; scientific research; infrastructure and investments; governance; policy implications in the region; and much more.
During IDA, select speakers and attendees discussed these issues in further detail with John Milewski, Executive Producer of Wilson NOW. Please access these full interviews and brief descriptions via the links below--as they are released.
- Fran Ulmer | Symposium Overview: Impacts of an Ice-Diminishing Arctic
- Senator Lisa Murkowski | The Story of the Arctic: Evolving & Dynamic
- Gail Schubert | Perspectives from a Native Corporation: Part 1
- Admiral Charles W. Ray | US Coast Guard: Challenges and Priorities
- Michael Mora | Perspectives from a Native Corporation: Part 2
- Alice Rogoff | Building Awareness of "America's Third Ocean"
- Tero Vauraste | Regional Development and the Role of the Arctic Economic Council
- Atsushi Sunami | Global Implications: Focus on Japan
- Mead Treadwell | The Importance of the Arctic