Michael Kofman serves as Director of the Russia Studies Program at the CNA Corporation and a Fellow at the Kennan Institute, Woodrow Wilson International Center in Washington, D.C. His research focuses on the Russia and the former Soviet Union, specializing in the Russian armed forces, Russian military thought, and strategy. Previously he served at National Defense University as a Program Manager, and subject matter expert, advising senior military and government officials on issues in Russia and Eurasia. Mr. Kofman's other affiliations include being a Senior Editor at War on the Rocks, where he regularly authors articles on strategy, the Russian military, Russian decision making and related foreign policy issues.
Mr. Kofman has published numerous articles on the Russian armed forces, security issues in Russia/Eurasia, along with analyses for the U.S. government. He holds a M.A. in International Security from the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University and a B.A. in Political Science from Northeastern University.
- Kofman, Michael. "Russian defense spending is much larger, and more sustainable than it seems." May 3, 2019. Defense News.
- Kofman, Michael. Drivers of Russian Grand Strategy. Stockholm Free World Forum. Briefing No. 6 2019
- Kofman, Michael. "Is a security dilemma likely to emerge in Europe?" Baltic Rim Economies, February 2019. Issue No.1
- Michael Kofman, Russian Combat Operations in Syria and Their Impact on the Force, p.29-35 in Russia's Policy in Syria and the Middle East. Central Asia Program. January 2019.
- Kofman, Michael. "Rethinking the Structure and Role of Russia's Airborne Forces." CCW Russia Brief. Issue 4, January 2019.
- Dmitry Gorenburg and Michael Kofman, "Russia and Ukraine had a short naval battle. Here's what you need to know." The Washington Post. November 28, 2018.
- Kofman, Michael, Revise and Resubmit: An Unconvincing Proposal for Permanent U.S. Troops in Poland, War on the Rocks, November 1, 2018.
- Kofman, Michael. Under the Missile's Shadow: What Does the Passing of the INF Treaty Mean? War on the Rocks. October 26, 2018.
- Kofman, Michael. "Permanently Stationing U.S. Forces in Poland is a bad idea, but one worth debating." War on the Rocks. October 12, 2018.
- Kofman, Michael. "Vostok-2018: Russia and China signal growing military cooperation." Russia Matters. September 10, 2018.
- Kofman, Michael. Russian Performance in the Russo-Georgian War Revisited. War on the Rocks. September 4, 2018.
- Kofman, Michael. "Assessing Vostok-2018." CCW Russia Brief. Issue 3. September 2018.
- Kofman, Michael. The August War, Ten Years On: A Retrospective on the Russo-Georgian War. War on the Rocks. August 17, 2018.
- Kofman, Michael. Stranger Things in Helsinki. War on the Rocks. July 23, 2018.
- Kofman, Michael. Raiding and International Brigandry: Russia's Strategy for Great Power Competition. War on the Rocks. June 14, 2018.
- Kofman, Michael. "The Durability of Russian Military Power: Moscow's Prospects for Sustaining Direct Competition." CCW Russia Brief. Issue 2. May 2018.
- Michael J. Mazarr, Michael Kofman. Rediscovering Statecraft in a Changing Post-War Order. Texas National Security Review. Vol 1, Issue 3. May 2018.